Wednesday, September 07, 2005

C is for Compassion

"I have never aspired to be a professional academic or scholar. Instead, I have tried to be a man of letters in love with ideas in order to be a wiser and more loving person, hoping to leave the world just a little better than I found it. I take great delight in the free play of the mind, and I believe intellectual work is indispensable for social change. Yet, in the end, I place compassion far above smartness and wisdom light-years ahead of cleverness."
Cornel West

6 comments:

Madcap said...

Boy, he sure knows how to sum things up properly. Amen!

voixd'ange said...

YUP! That's why I love him.

jazztheo said...

"To love another person is to see the face of God." Les Miserable

gottfreed316 said...

Jazztheo, I love that thought from Les Miserable. How true it is that love is from God and when we truly love others we not only see Him, but show Him to others as well.

Dr. Mike Kear said...

Absolutely beautiful quote!

existentialist said...

I love you Cornell West. Thank you for being a light in the darkness for us.