Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Daddy was a Preacher

The image “http://www.rasiel.com/haggis/1600/vangogh3.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Recently I learned something new about one of my favorite artist, Vincent Van Gogh. Van Gogh's father was a Methodist minister. As it turns out, before Vincent became an artist he felt a very passionate calling to ministry and desired to "Preach the Gospel everywhere." He did become a preacher in the coal mining district of La Borinage, Belgium. Conditions there were bitterly harsh. Wishing to live as the people he served he gave all he had to the poor and slept on a bed of straw as they did. He was dismissed from his post for "undermining the dignity of the priesthood." He was later to write in his personal letters to his brother Theo, " Oh I am no friend of present day Christianity, although its founder was sublime. I have seen through present day Christianity all too well."

2 comments:

Constantine said...

"I have seen through present day Christianity all too well."

What do you think he meant by that?

voixd'ange said...

I think he meant that they had forgotten what the Gospel message was really all about.Jesus said that what we do for the least of these we do for Him.