Saturday, February 08, 2020

I'm currently hooked on a Netflix show about the Ottoman Empire. 

I visited Turkey a few years back, Istanbul, to be precise. I absolutely loved it. The food was incredible, the people were amazing, and the city was gorgeous.

At the time that I visited, I was completely unaware that I was staying just a few yards away from a very historic site, Galata Tower. I could see it right from my window. It was right there. Now that I have been watching the Netflix show, I know its historical significance. 

In Istanbul I felt very safe. My son, Jon, went with me, but we have a tradition of splitting up in the mornings and then meeting for dinner. As a woman traveling alone, it seemed as if every man I encountered was keeping a protective eye on me. Everyone was so kind. 

Many of streets were cobbled. In the spot I was staying all roads led to the tower and the buildings and city blocks would narrow to a v, opening to a square. In the center was the tower. There were restaurants, kebab stands, and fruit juice stand were you could stand and watch as they squeezed the fresh juice from the fruit, or fruits of your choice. There were also a lot of shops selling beautiful plates, lamps, instruments, Turkish towels and soap, as well as all kinds of other gifts and souvenirs. 

One morning my son encouraged me to come down to the waterfront for breakfast. The roadways were a steep incline going down to the edge of the Bosphorus. We watched a man grill a fresh fish, season it and but it on a large crusty oblong bun. we took it to tiny plastic chairs and tables set up by the water where men would oblige you with freshly brewed tea. It was served piping hot in tulip shaped glasses that were carefully grasped by the rims. Everything was delicious! It was one of the most memorable travel experiences I have ever had. 








No comments: