Friday, January 06, 2006

More than a Dreamer

As King Day approaches I am working on projects with my students to celebrate the man behind the movement that made one of the most profound changes ever in the lives and history of Americans. In doing so I ran across some photos that we don't normally see of the man. This time of year it seems like every time I turn around I hear the ghostly echo of "I have a dream, I have a dream, I have a dream . . ." and it was most certainly a beautiful sentiment and speech, but it was so much more than that, and Dr. King was so much more than a dreamer. He put actions behind those words. Those words were bathed in blood, sweat, sacrifice and even uncertainty. That is the amazing thing about it. It is easy to look back now and hear "I have a dream" in a romantic light and forget "I may not get there with you . . ."

The image “http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/tindall/tinimage/bgmlkjr.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


The image “http://www.americaslibrary.gov/assets/aa/king/aa_king_jail_2_e.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.




2 comments:

Dr. Mike Kear said...

Thanks for the outstanding pictures and thoughts.

H. Stallard said...

I've always wondered about the others, the ones who clashed with Dr. King, the two poilcemen who arrested him, the man behind the counter, the jailer who closed the door on his cell. Are they still alive, did they change any at all because of what he did or what they did?