Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Time Transfixed

There is a very famous painting by the Belgian artist Renee' Magritte entitled Time Transfixed. If you are not familiar with it, it is a depiction of a train coming through a fireplace. Magritte believed that whenever we look at an object, subconsciously we see something else in our mind's eye, so to speak. He tried to portray that in his work. I like most of his work because it reminds me of the way God looks at me. When God looks at me he sees me through the blood of His only son, Jesus. Not only that...but as time is in God, He doesn't just see me as I am at any given moment, He sees the composite of all that I was, all that I am, and all I am called to be! When God looks at me time is transfixed. He sees His image and likeness. He sees the mark of the high calling. He sees a life hidden in Christ. No wonder Paul is able to say in Roman's 8, " I consider that our present trials are not worth comparing to the glory that is to be revealed in us."

4 comments:

Dr. Mike Kear said...

Beautifully written!

Peace,

Mike

voixd'ange said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is Freud's theory, I'm sure you know. But, there is another important strain of thought here, too. Do you know the work of Claude Levi-Strauss on the Doctrine of Signatures. He believed that everything on this planet was created for us, and therefore the key to using the planet is to look at human physiology. He notes that the plants that have an ability to heal the heart are heart shaped, in leaf or root. Similarly, those things that resemble the brain, exist to fix it. I had a friend in grad school who was doing a dissertation on this guy in relation to cultural geography.

voixd'ange said...

Actually, I didn't know this was Freud's theory, thank you for informing me. Also I had never heard of the doctrine of signatures, but I think it is an interesting one.Thank you for sharing this information!