Saturday, August 20, 2005

McGaza

Maybe I should start this post with a disclaimer...I really don't want to offend anyone, or make light of the situation in Gaza. This is a heart wrenching situation, I think, regardless of where you stand on the issue...

My sons and I always try to catch the McLaughlin group on Saturdays up here in the Windy City. Today they were discussing the possible effects of the Gaza pull out on terrorism. What really surprised me is that I didn't hear anyone speak on the current living conditions of the Palestinians and how much that directly aids in the recruitment of terrorist. Its easy to recruit suicide bombers among people who live in such desperate circumstances they feel they have nothing to live for. I turned to my son and said, "Give those kids an mp3, a pair of Nikes and McDonalds and see how many you can find willing to blow themselves up!" Of course I was being facetious, but I honestly feel that the best defence Israel would have against Palestinian terrorism is investment and development...

3 comments:

Constantine said...

"Give those kids an mp3, a pair of Nikes and McDonalds and see how many you can find willing to blow themselves up!" Of course I was being facetious, but I honestly feel that the best defence Israel would have against Palestinian terrorism is investment and development...

Yes. There's a lot of truth in this statement. In our hearts, everyone wants an opportunity to live life.

voixd'ange said...

Yes, I think there is. But I was very concerned about how the post would be interpreted...
Sometimes I think we get so clinical in our analysis of these situations that we become devoid of commmon sense and forget the very real and human element of the issue at hand...

existentialist said...

I think you are right Angie