Thursday, January 12, 2006

Run to Win

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things.

Philippians 3:14-15


The image “http://www.dcn.ed.ac.uk/ecno/eric.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Eric Liddell

Eric Liddell was a student of pure science at Edinburgh University (born 1902 - died 1945). He was a keen sportsman and athlete. He played on the wing for Scotland at Rugby as well as representing the UK in the Paris Olympics. He was known for his strong Christian beliefs and morals and refused to run in the heats of the 100m, as they were to be held on a Sunday. He had a very distinctive running style and was immortalised in the film, Chariots of Fire, as the Flying Scotsman. He won a gold medal in the 400 metres at the Paris Olympics. He became a missionary in China where he died at the age of 43.


2 comments:

jazztheo said...

Eric Liddle has been a hero of mine for a long time. I remember reading a biography about him and being so impressed with his faith. His life after the olympics as a missionary was even more inspiring than his gold medal. Thanks for bringing him back to the fore front of my mind.

He did write a book, it was sort of a discipleship manual that he used while in China...I think I'll go read it again.

voixd'ange said...

Ooooooo! Would you share the title with me?