Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Thing about Bees (from Unfinished Story)


When I was in elementary school we had a great science fair program. Every year we would choose a subject then read, cut, draw and stencil letters like petite mad scientist as if our lives depended on it. The science fair wasn't just a big event - it was the event of the school year. Every year we would go through the local competition, the district competition, and then on to state if we were lucky. I chose honey bees for my topic, not out of any true scientific interest. I thought they were cute. And they used flowers to make something sweet - how do you beat that in the mind of an 11 year old girl?

I'm not quite sure how on earth I won a ribbon the second year. My focus was purely on the artistic side of the whole presentation. I had a cute little bee's head peering down over the top of the board. I had drawn colorful presentations on my poster board. I had honey in several forms. But to be quite honest I knew very little else about honey bees other than they collected pollen and made honey and there was a queen and they did a little bee jig to show their peers where the pollen was located.

Nevertheless - I did take home a ribbon. And no one was more pleasantly surprised than I. :)

No comments: