Sunday, March 01, 2020

QUEEN

Lately I have been fixated with Freddie Mercury.

I'm not sure how I stumbled into this. I've got his song Who wants to live forever on repeat. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is the Coronavirus. I'm sure his being from India also plays a role. And maybe his magnificent, utterly unique talent. 

I just saw the movie Bohemina Rhapsody. It had rave reviews, but I was disappointed. The lead character was so fragile. Even in his stage appearances. When I watch old youTube videos I don't see that at all in Freddie. All I see is strength. He strided across the stage as if he not only owned it, but as if he built is and the framing was extracted from his loins and muscles. 

I can see him. His back to me. Wrapped in a cape. He throws it open and viola! A fully formed stage and venue pops out behind him. He turns and smiles, and grabs the mic as if it is all a matter of course. 

The music of Queen was so diverse, I did not even realize that many of the songs I have been familiar with for years were by them. What an amazing range and versatility! What a gift Freddie was to the world. 


No comments: